[GSoC]I want to remove everything perl/tcl/gtags in the new nvi

Kurt Lidl lidl at pix.net
Thu Jul 14 14:08:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 01:22:49AM -0500, Zhihao Yuan wrote:
> Second, the perl/tcl interpreter support; you can apply a perl/tcl
> command to the file whiling you are editing. I beg no one here used
> this feature before.

Bzzt. I've used the perl interpreter before on a project.

In that case, we were using vi as an editor for some very large
text fields that were handled via perl to retrieve/store them
into a database, done through a DBI proxy daemon.

We could do multiple edits this way, without having to
capture the field to a scratch file, invoke vi on it, again and
again. One persistant vi...  At the time, the speed mattered.

> If the logic is simple, you can use subst; if
> it's not, you'd better write a script and run perl/tcl outside. I
> regard it as feature creep, and I don't like it.
>
> Any comments?

I don't really care that the perl/tcl integration stays or goes, but
it's certainly not "never been used".

-Kurt