Capsicum project: Ideas needed

Ilya Bakulin webmaster at kibab.com
Fri Jul 8 03:42:22 UTC 2011

Hi hackers,
As a part of ongoing effort to enhance usage of Capsicum in FreeBSD base
system, I want to ask you, which applications in the base system should
receive sandboxing support.
So far, the following applications were sandboxed during initial
Capsicum research project:
 sshd: critical system service run by root;
 gzip: utility that operates with potentially buggy compression code
 tcpdump: contains complex packet-parsing code, run by root;
I have added sandboxing to syslogd, because this is also a critical
system service run by root.
I'm also going to add sandboxing to xz (compression algorithms) and ntpd
(critical system service run by root).

The question is: which applications should also be processed? I think
that the most wanted candidates are SUID programs and/or popular network
daemons.
But looking at gzip example I also think about text-processing tools in
general.

At the moment I prefer not to focus on applications that are used only
on desktop system -- primary usage of FreeBSD is ultra-reliable serving
platform, although iXSystems guys may correct me :-)

--
Regards,
Ilya Bakulin