strange 'vmstat -z' output

Alexander Best arundel at freebsd.org
Wed Jul 6 08:25:58 UTC 2011

On Wed Jul  6 11, Sergey Kandaurov wrote:
> On 6 July 2011 02:46, Alexander Best <arundel at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > hi there,
> >
> > i'm seeing the following with 'vmstat -z' on CURRENT, running on amd64:
> >
> > ITEM                   SIZE  LIMIT     USED     FREE      REQ FAIL SLEEP
> > 128 Bucket:            1048,      0,     150,       0,    1650,12746,   0
> >
> > ...how can the number of failures be greater than the number of requests?
>
> Here REQ is the total number of successful allocations, not just requests.

who in the right mind would use the keyword REQ for describing successfull
allocations? i think if this is really the case, it should be changed to SUCC
and, if possible, REQ, describing the total number of requested allocations,
should be added.

just my 0.02$.

thanks for clearing thinks up for me. unfortunately the vmstat(8) man page
doesn't come with any description for the -z output. it would be nice to have
sections for every vmstat mode, like in the procstat(1) man page.

cheers.
alex