[ANNOUNCE] tzdialog(8) -- tzsetup(8) translated from C to sh(1)

Devin Teske dteske at vicor.com
Tue Jul 5 06:57:12 UTC 2011

Hi fellow hackers,

I'd like to share some work that I've been slaving over for the past 7 days.

I've converted tzsetup(8) from a C program that relies on dialog(3) into an sh(1) script that relies on either dialog(1) or Xdialog(1).

http://druidbsd.sourceforge.net/download/tzdialog.txt

or

http://druidbsd.sourceforge.net/

The advantages of this are two-fold:
	1. Bring tzsetup(8) to the GUI
	2. Bring tzsetup(8) to Linux

This new script, I'm calling tzdialog(8).

Major focal points were:
1. Speed (just as fast as tzsetup(8))
2. Conciseness (the code is conceptually clean)
3. Closeness to original code (you can find a large amount in-common between the C code and sh(1) code).

that is, in addition to the overall goals/reasons:

1. Act as a drop-in replacement for FreeBSD's tzsetup(8).
2. Provide a Graphical User Interface (GUI) via Xdialog(1) -- an X11-enabled drop-in replacement for dialog(1).
3. To bring tzsetup(8) to Linux (replacing tzselect(8)) and other systems that support dialog(1) and/or Xdialog(1).
4. Provide a single interface for both Linux and FreeBSD users without needing to ship two separate binaries.

I'm very happy with the results. Whether I'm using tzdialog(8) on a Linux box, FreeBSD box, on the console, or in the GUI (either locally or via X11 forwarding), it's just like I would expect tzsetup(8) to behave (with some added bonuses -- such as the added `-v' flag).

Please do let me know what you think.

I'm not proposing that we replace tzsetup(8) in the base with this, rather I'm just asking that a few people could try it out and let me know what you think.
--
Cheers,
Devin Teske

-> LEGAL DISCLAIMER <-
This message  contains confidential  and proprietary  information
of the sender,  and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it
is addressed. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any
other person  is strictly prohibited.  If you have  received this
message in error,  please notify  the e-mail sender  immediately,
and delete the original message without making a copy.

-> FUN STUFF <-
http://www.geekcode.com/

-> END TRANSMISSION <-