setsid not found on freebsd

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Mon Feb 14 09:12:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 12:32:21AM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Ashish Mahamuni
> <mahamuni.ashish at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am using FreeBSD 8.1.
> > I am doing some automation stuff and running shell scripts remotely using
> > setsid command.
> >
> > It seems that I do not have setsid on my system. Also, searched in
> > /usr/ports for installation but no luck.
> >
> > Could you please tell me the way to install this command or may be the
> > alternative?
>
>     It's a syscall, not an administrative command. How were you
> accessing it before?

I believe that the original poster is referring to the setsid(1) command
available in at least some Linux distributions; it's distributed as part
of the util-linux-ng package and it basically does a fork(), setsid()
and execve() to run a user-specified command as a session group leader
in the style of daemon(8) (but without detaching or daemonizing :)

I think it might not be too hard to implement it under FreeBSD.

G'luck,
Peter

Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net roam at FreeBSD.org peter at packetscale.com
I am jealous of the first word in this sentence.