man 3 getopt char * const argv[] - is const wrong ?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Sun Feb 13 17:15:17 UTC 2011

Hi,
Thanks to all respondents, I'll re-read comments in a bit,
I went searching for reference:

Matthias wrote:
> the prototype is in line with the Single Unix Specification v4 aka IEEE
> Std. 1003.1-2008 (sorry no URL, I have checked my local copy, check
> <http://www.opengroup.org/> you can access it free of charge after
> registering name and email address).

Thanks, but I didn't find it.
	( I used X Open's Search but wan't easy, (I recall fat green
	cardboard boxes from XOpen 20+ years back) : impression
	remains: opaque unattractive.  Part of the attraction of C
	was a slim light affordable volume, 1cm thick, well written,
	2 indexes, easy reading, carrying & reference :-)

	Oh for a free modern cross reference style C definition in
	Asc & HTML like http://apache.org has on line for httpd.conf
	... Not old PDF (harder to search), or money wanting ISO,
	or login wanting Xopen.

	Or a same style K&R#3 ?
		Prentice hall ...
		http://www.pearsonhighered.com/
			Yawn ...
		http://www.google.de/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=The+C+Programming+Language+Third+Edition&btnG=Google+Search
		http://www.google.de/search?hl=en&q=The+C+Programming+Language+Fourth+Edition&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

http://wikipedia.org ...
http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/standards
no need to create a login, Click on
	"The lastest publically available version of the standard
	is the combined C99 + TC1 + TC2 + TC3, WG14 N1256, dated
	2007-09-07. This is a WG14 working paper, but it reflects
	the consolidated standard at the time of issue."
& get n1256.pdf ... 550 pages.
P 535 (XPDF number, not visual number on page) in the alphabetic index
(alpha. like the back of the C book, nice) Ref. to
	const type qualifier, 6.7.3
P.120 (XPDF numbering) Footnote 114)
	The implementation may place a const object that is not
	volatile in a read-only region of storage.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Mail plain text;  Not quoted-printable, Not HTML, Not base 64.