Alexander Best arundel at freebsd.org
Sun Oct 24 01:18:54 UTC 2010

On Thu Oct 21 10, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Alexander Best <arundel at freebsd.org> writes:
> > no need to get upset. you asked where i found the information regarding the
> > wear impact of spinning down disks and i gave you the answer.
>
> I am upset by your claim that "doing spin downs upon reboot might be
> even worse than not doing spindowns upon shutdown", because you should
> know better, and following your advice could damage people's hardware.

well...since currently hdds don't spindown during shutdown the current behavior
is in fact damaging hardware. i don't quite understand why this hasn't been
fixed yet. the patch is available and known to work. it won't cause any
problems with SCSI devices like mav's current implementation, since the
spindown code is limited to ATA devices.

instead of talking and talking somebody should drop the changes into HEAD!

cheers.
alex

--
a13x