Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu Oct 21 16:20:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 05:20:54PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Bruce Cran <bruce at cran.org.uk> writes:
> > The Ubuntu issue was what I was thinking of - I got that mixed up with
> > the aggressive power management of the WD EARS drives.
>
> The entire Green series, actually, which includes models such as the
> EADS, AARS etc., but there's more to them than that - the central
> feature is their dynamically adjusted rotational speed, which allows
> them to conserve power without spinning all the way down.

They do not have any dynamically adjusted rotational speed, despite
what Western Digitals marketing department would like you to believe.

Tests by various reliable review sites have shown that all the Green
models examined so far spin at 5400RPM with no variations.
(See e.g. http://www.silentpcreview.com/article786-page2.html
or  http://www.storagereview.com/1000.sr?page=0,0  )

There could be differences in rotational speed between different models
(but no such difference has been reported yet), but they all have a
fixed RPM.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson