Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Thu Oct 21 12:54:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 14:33:49 +0200
Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> wrote:

> The problem with setting a short idle timeout is that, on a typical
> laptop or desktop system, you end up spinning the disk down and back
> up several hundred times a day, which increases power consumption, I/O
> latency and wear.

Do we think our users are silly enough to set a short timeout of just a
few minutes?  I'd think most would use a setting of 20-30 minutes at
a minimum. I never did understand why there were so many warnings;
after all, some laptops even come with a default APM scheme in their
HDDs that powers the disk down after 7 seconds!

--
Bruce Cran