sysrc -- a sysctl(8)-like utility for managing /etc/rc.conf et. al.

Devin Teske dteske at vicor.com
Mon Oct 11 00:23:07 UTC 2010

On Oct 10, 2010, at 4:51 PM, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> On 10/10/10 7:09 PM, Devin Teske wrote:
>> However, enclosing the argument (as the 'x$foo' portion is really just the first argument to the '[' built-in) in quotes:
>>
>> [ "$foo" = x ]
>>
>> makes it so that the expansion is taken as:
>>
>> [ "-n" = x ]
>>
>> rather than:
>>
>> [ -n = x ]
>>
>> The former not causing an error, while the latter does.
>>
> The latter does not cause an error.  Try it:
>
> # [ "-n" = x ] ; echo $?
> 1
>
> # [ -e = "no" ] ; echo $?
> 1
>
> # [ -e = -n ] ; echo $?
> 1

Logical error, not functional error.

>> Quite functionally, at a C-level, if you have your array, ...
>>
>> argv[0] = "[\0";
>> argv[1] = "\"-n\"\0"; /* quoted syntax */
>> argv[2] = "=\0";
>> argv[3] = "x\0";
>>
>> and
>>
>> argv[0] = "[\0";
>> argv[1] = "-n\0"; /* non-quoted syntax */
>> argv[2] = "=\0";
>> argv[3] = "x\0";
>>

> You won't see the double-quotes in the C program.

Correct, an external C programming will get the arguments just like a shell script.

>   The shell processes single and double quotes, and passes the result to the C program which is running.  It might be different for built-in functions,

Indeed it is.

> but /bin/test would never see the double-quotes if they were used.  And since the built-in function has to work the same as standalone function

There is no distinction between "built-in function" and "standalone function". I think you mean "built-in" versus "external binary".

The way that parameters are passed off to the internal parser is different than the way arguments are passed to external executables.

--
Cheers,
Devin Teske

-> CONTACT INFORMATION <-
Business Solutions Consultant II
FIS - fisglobal.com
510-735-5650 Mobile
510-621-2038 Office
510-621-2020 Office Fax
909-477-4578 Home/Fax
devin.teske at fisglobal.com

-> LEGAL DISCLAIMER <-
This message  contains confidential  and proprietary  information
of the sender,  and is intended only for the person(s) to whom it
is addressed. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any
other person  is strictly prohibited.  If you have  received this
message in error,  please notify  the e-mail sender  immediately,
and delete the original message without making a copy.

-> FUN STUFF <-
http://www.geekcode.com/

-> END TRANSMISSION <-