sysrc -- a sysctl(8)-like utility for managing /etc/rc.conf et. al.

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 7 08:15:03 UTC 2010

  On 10/7/10 12:23 AM, jhell wrote:

> Alright thank you for your explanation. I do not normally see this usage
> and this just sort of stood out at me and I did not want to assume what
> you were trying to accomplish, without asking.

three useage cases come to mind immediately.

1/ use within other scripts..
  instead of the dozens of homegrown solutions people have written for
puting something
into /etc/rc.conf  one can use this.

2/ what is the value of X on machines a,b,c
   foreach machine in a b c
   do
       ssh $machine sysrc X
   done

     you may well say "you could have used grep" bu tgrep doesn't give
the default value vie the
    hierachy of .rc files.
2A is of course to correc teh values found to be wrong with (2)

3/ on a really small system, without an editor this may do a cleaner
job than the usual
  "grep -v X /etc/rc.conf >/tmp/x;echo X >> /tmp/x; mv /tmp/x
/etc/rc.conf"