Timestamps in static libraries

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 5 15:22:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 03:28:36PM +0200, Erik Cederstrand wrote:
>> I'm wondering if this is necessary, or if this can possibly be turned
>> of with a knob somewhere.
>
> Newer binutils got a flag after a discussion about this and related
> issues in NetBSD. It basically stores 0 for the uid/gid/time fields.

This also came up recently in the context of producing static libraries
from object files with large uid's (such as in AFS).  A couple of patches
to ar(1) and libarchive were bandied about, though I don't think Tim
Kientzle has committed any of them, yet.
(As it turns out, I may also need to patch ranlib(1) in order to get a
complete buildworld in my large-uid environment, and possibly other
things.)

-Ben Kaduk