i386 specific manual pages

Alexander Best arundel at freebsd.org
Sun Nov 14 15:39:52 UTC 2010

On Sun Nov 14 10, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 01:55:59PM +0000, Alexander Best wrote:
> > hi there,
> >
> > could we please have the following manual pages
> >
> > lib/libc/i386/sys/i386_get_ioperm.2
> > lib/libc/i386/sys/i386_get_ldt.2
> > lib/libc/i386/sys/i386_set_watch.3 (can this also be accessed?)
> > lib/libc/i386/sys/i386_vm86.2
> >
> > installed into /usr/share/man/man{2,3}/i386? they can be accessed via
> > sysarch(2) and are explicitly being referenced by its manual page.
> >
> > that way doing 'man -mi386 i386_get_ioperm' e.g. would work under arch=amd64.
>
> Just a note: all of them except vm86 can be reasonably implemented on
> amd64, as well are supported under ia32 emulation on amd64. I am not
> sure that suggestion to do the work make sence, since they functions
> looks unused even on i386.

i'm afraid we don't agree on that issue. i need to set io permissions in order
to write to the parallel port and don't want to open /dev/io for security
reasons. right now i don't know any way of doing this under amd64 except by
using sysarch(2). it might be possible to implement this natively under amd64,
but that is not the point. sysarch(2) is available *now* and i should be able
to get information about the architecture-dependent functions i can use with
sysarch(2).

if a native silution for amd64 pops up in the future that's great, but there's
no point in installing the sysarch(2) manual and referencing the i386
architecture-dependent functions in it without providing necessary information
to use those functions.

thats like buying a car and the guy is telling you "it has lots of cool
features". when you ask him however "what are those features" he replies:
"well. be sure it has a lot of features, however i can't tell you what they
are". ;)

cheers.
alex

--