ATA 4K sector issues

Olivier Smedts olivier at gid0.org
Wed Mar 17 18:16:13 UTC 2010

2010/3/17 Bruce Cran <bruce at cran.org.uk>:
> On Wednesday 17 March 2010 10:16:16 Mohacsi Janos wrote:
>> Dear FreeBSD hackers,
>>       What is the situation with ATA 4K dirves in FreeBSD? Are there any
>> support for them in fdisk or disklabel?
>
> # mdconfig -a -f ddfile -S 4096
> md0
> # fdisk /dev/md0
> fdisk: could not detect sector size
> # mdconfig -d -u 0
> # mdconfig -a -f ddfile -S 1024
> md0
> # fdisk /dev/md0
> ******* Working on device /dev/md0 *******
> parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
> cylinders=130 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)
>
> parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
> cylinders=130 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)
>
> fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found
> fdisk: /boot/mbr: length must be a multiple of sector size
>
> So it seems there's still work to do to get fdisk working, but I can't try
> gpart since I don't have a real disk.

Why not on geom_md ?
# mdconfig -a -f ddfile -S 4096
# gpart create -s gpt md0
# gpart list md0
Geom name: md0
fwheads: 32
fwsectors: 1
last: 25594
first: 6
entries: 128
scheme: GPT
Consumers:
1. Name: md0
   Mediasize: 104857600 (100M)
   Sectorsize: 4096
   Mode: r0w0e0

Same results with MBR scheme.

> --
> Bruce Cran

Olivier Smedts                                                 _
                                        ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
e-mail: olivier at gid0.org        - against HTML email & vCards  X
www: http://www.gid0.org    - against proprietary attachments / \

  "Il y a seulement 10 sortes de gens dans le monde :
  ceux qui comprennent le binaire,
  et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas."