ATA 4K sector issues

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Wed Mar 17 14:31:50 UTC 2010

Mohacsi Janos <mohacsi at niif.hu> writes:
> What is the situation with ATA 4K dirves in FreeBSD? Are there
> any support for them in fdisk or disklabel?

Hmm, didn't we discuss this already?  All we need to do is change the
defaults in fdisk so it rounds partition offsets and sizes to a multiple
of 8 sectors (or 16 for future-proofing) instead of aligning them with
fictitious cylinder boundaries.  Bsdlabel, as disklabel is properly
known, already DTRT: by default, the first partition starts at offset
16.  Just make sure you specify sizes that are divisible by 8 or 16
blocks (not an issue if you use the M or G suffixes).  Sysinstall
operates in megabytes.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no