To sendmail or to postfix that is the question?

Lowell Gilbert lgusenet at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Mar 10 19:32:01 UTC 2010

"Steven Hartland" <killing at multiplay.co.uk> writes:

> A few key question come to mind:-
> 1. Has sendmail's config moved away from the black art
> it once was?

Somewhat.  The configurations are done with m4 these days, but there's
a lot of black magic possible with the many potential combinations of
features and options.

> 2. Is postfix that much easier?

Yes.  However, the black magic in sendmail is very powerful.

> 3. What would people use for:
> 3.1. POP / IMAP support?

Separate problem.  I use dovecot and I like it, but it's just a
household server.

> 3.2. Web Mail?

I don't do that, because I don't want to go to the effort of making sure
it is and stays secure, but from what I hear I'd probably try
squirrelmail first if I were doing it.

> 3.2. AV / Spam filtering?

I use spamassassin.  You can plug most other analyzers into it.