Allocating physical memory without a kernel mapping

Alexander Eichner alexeichi at yahoo.de
Tue Mar 2 23:11:08 UTC 2010

Giovanni Trematerra wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Alexander Eichner <alexeichi at yahoo.de> wrote:
> > Giovanni Trematerra wrote:
> >> >

> > Thanks for your help but I don't see how that patch could help with my
> > problem. rtR0MemObjNativeAllocPage allocates pages with a kernel
> > mapping but the problem appears when using rtR0MemObjNativeAllocPhysNC
> > + rtR0MemObjNativeMapUser and freeing the pages later.
> > rtR0MemObjNativeAllocPage is used if I use the old allocation mode which
> > does not use rtR0MemObjNativeAllocPhysNC and this works fine here.
> > The double wiring problem should also be solved with the latest source.
>
> Sorry, the patch was intended *only* as alternative way to resolve
> double wired paging issue.
> I don't know if the patch is correct though.
>
> Maybe you can attach a textdump of your panic(or at least a bt), that
> might be useful to understand the problem.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Gianni

[1] contains a screenshot of the panic. The VBoxHeadless process has
already terminated and I started a gnome-session while the panic
happened. Unfortunately I'm not able to dump the core to disk.
If I try to execute panic it just hangs or prints the stack trace again.
The host is 64bit FreeBSD 9-Current with 8GB of RAM and a AMD Phenom
Quad-Core CPU.

uname -a:
FreeBSD HatakFreeBSD.vbox 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #1: Wed Feb 24
19:44:20 CET 2010
alexander at HatakFreeBSD.vbox:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

Thanks and regards,
Alexander

[1] http://imagebin.ca/view/IlWwmPg.html