[patch] extending {amd64|i386} cpu info

jhell jhell at DataIX.net
Tue Mar 2 12:54:14 UTC 2010

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:29, alexbestms@ wrote:
> jhell schrieb am 2010-03-01:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:19, alexbestms@ wrote:
>>> hi there,
>
>>> i always forget how to decipher model and family from the cpu id.
>>> of course
>>> there're 3rd party tools to do that for you, but instead i decided
>>> to hack the
>>> kernel. ;)
>
>>> maybe somebody finds these changes useful.
>
>>> cheers.
>>> alex
>

>> What about the other arch's ? I only see i386 and amd64. I would
>> think if this functionality is going to "make it in" that it should
>> be done consistantly across the board, the way it is now.
>
> just had a look at the other archs and in fact implementing these changes is
> not that easy as on i386 and amd64.
>
> talking about consistency: i found the cpu info outputs on arm, i64, etc. to
> differ from the ones on i386 and amd64. so in fact there is inconsistency
> present atm.

In that case. EEEK. Alright if they are already differing then I certainly
see no reason why not to do this.

> i also think that on some archs it's not possible to output cpu id, stepping,
> family and model simply because there's no cpu instruction (CPUID or something
> similar) returning those info for freebsd to use.

Man what_was_I_smokin(1) "joking"; when I wrote that last email while
thinking about three things at once. Of course they are going to be
different lol. You are quite correct. Sorry.

--

  jhell