[patch] extending {amd64|i386} cpu info

Alexander Best alexbestms at wwu.de
Tue Mar 2 00:29:51 UTC 2010

jhell schrieb am 2010-03-01:

> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:19, alexbestms@ wrote:
> >hi there,

> >i always forget how to decipher model and family from the cpu id.
> >of course
> >there're 3rd party tools to do that for you, but instead i decided
> >to hack the
> >kernel. ;)

> >maybe somebody finds these changes useful.

> >cheers.
> >alex

> What about the other arch's ? I only see i386 and amd64. I would
> think if this functionality is going to "make it in" that it should
> be done consistantly across the board, the way it is now.

just had a look at the other archs and in fact implementing these changes is
not that easy as on i386 and amd64.

talking about consistency: i found the cpu info outputs on arm, i64, etc. to
differ from the ones on i386 and amd64. so in fact there is inconsistency
present atm.

i also think that on some archs it's not possible to output cpu id, stepping,
family and model simply because there's no cpu instruction (CPUID or something
similar) returning those info for freebsd to use.

cheers.
alex