package building failure irritation

xorquewasp at googlemail.com xorquewasp at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 26 18:15:21 UTC 2010

'Lo,

On 2010-02-26 12:39:26, Greg Larkin wrote:
> "make package-recursive" calls "make package-noinstall" for all of the
> dependent ports.  I'm assuming that means that the dependent packages
> all have to be installed first, so I would change your script like so:
>
> cd $port
> make clean
> make deinstall
> make depends		# just to be safe
> make install
> make package-recursive

I see!

I'll edit the script and re-run the build to see if this sorts the problem.

> On the other hand, this is similar to what Tinderbox
> (http://tinderbox.marcuscom.com/README.html), so perhaps that would be a
> solution for you, too?

I used it up until about a week ago when I finally lost patience with it.

Essentially, I found it too big, too slow, too opaque (too hard to work
out what it was currently doing), required too much infrastructure (a
working postgres setup - not good if you're trying to bootstrap packages
for a new machine) and possibly most annoyingly, the distfile cache is
still buggy (it redownloaded the 'qt-anywhere*' source archive about 20
times, making me exceed my monthly bandwidth limit). Oh, there were also
serious problems building java packages in tinderbox (due to the 'agree
to download' JDK garbage).

I wish things were otherwise, but, oh well...

xw