Support for WD Advanced Format disks

Ilya Bakulin webmaster at kibab.com
Mon Aug 30 11:57:12 UTC 2010

В Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:05:37 +0200
Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> пишет:

> Ilya Bakulin <webmaster at kibab.com> writes:
> > So, ad7p1.nop is shifted by 512 bytes and resides right on the
> > beginning of the physical sector. And it has 4096 "sector" size.
>
> Why did you shift the gnop?  Did you short jumper 7-8?
No, 7-8 remained as-is. ad7p1 was created using:
#gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -s 10G -b 63 ad7

So it begins at sector #63, but physical 4096-block begins at logical sector 64. That's why I shifted gnop by 1 sector.

> No, performance blows.
:-(
But this drive was bought primarily as backup solution. That is a good choice according to your blog entry :-)

> Yes.  WD Green disks suck.
Is it a problem of WD Green or it is common to all 4096-sector models?

--
С уважением,
Илья Бакулин (ON Labs)