Support for WD Advanced Format disks

Ilya Bakulin webmaster at kibab.com
Sat Aug 28 09:34:39 UTC 2010

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:44:48 +0200
Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> wrote:

> Right now, I have two requests.  The first is that people who have
> Advanced Format disks run a program I wrote that measures the
> performance of aligned and misaligned writes of different sizes.
>
> % svn co http://svn.freebsd.org/base/user/des/phybs
> % cd phybs
> % make
> % ./phybs -w /dev/adN

I've just bought WD15EARS, it is 1.5 TB WD Green drive, according to the label it uses Advanced Format. I plan to use it as a backup solution with SATA-USB convertor. But first I decided to conduct the test you want. So I've installed this drive into my home PC. Connection type is pure SATA, without convertors.

I've created misaligned 10G-partition:

kibab-desktop# gpart create -s GPT ad7
ad7 created
kibab-desktop# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -s 10G ad7
ad7p1 added
kibab-desktop# gpart show ad7
=>        34  2930277101  ad7  GPT  (1.4T)
          34    20971520    1  freebsd-ufs  (10G)
    20971554  2909305581       - free -  (1.4T)

Right now I'm running phybs -w /dev/ad7p1

Please write me what additional tests should I conduct. I may delay feeding this disk with data for a while, if it will be useful to obtain some important numbers for you and FreeBSD community.
--
Regards,
Ilya Bakulin