Is there a boot manager that can handle this?

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Fri Aug 27 11:38:07 UTC 2010

Hi,

wheras i wrote:
> Booting is done by the GRUB2 1.98
> menuentry "FreeBSD-8.0 STABLE on Partition 1" {
>        set root=(hd0,1,a)
>        freebsd /boot/loader
> }

Michel seems to be more right than me.

My GRUB2 is actually 1.96, not 1.98. I find traces
of documentation for "freebsd".

In GRUB2 1.98 is see in docs/grub.cfg these
examples:
# For booting FreeBSD
menuentry "FreeBSD (or GNU/kFreeBSD), direct boot" {
        set root=(hd0,1,a)
        kfreebsd /boot/kernel/kernel
        kfreebsd_loadenv /boot/device.hints
        kfreebsd_module /boot/splash.bmp type=splash_image_data
        set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:ad0s1a
}
menuentry "FreeBSD (or GNU/kFreeBSD), via /boot/loader" {
        set root=(hd0,1,a)
        kfreebsd /boot/loader
}

So the command obviously has changed from
"freebsd"  to  "kfreebsd".

Have a nice day :)

Thomas