Problem detecting and reacting to serial break

Paul Thornton prt at prt.org
Sun Aug 15 00:08:22 UTC 2010

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On 15/08/2010, at 3:00, Paul Thornton wrote:
>> So according to the documentation, the effect of the break should be to
>> flush the input and output buffers, and send a SIGINT to my process. The
>> buffer doesn't seem to get flushed, and I don't get sent the SIGINT.
>
> It does sounds like it's ignoring your request :(
>
> However you won't get a SIGINT unless the serial port is the controlling terminal of your process (which it won't be if you just open()'d it)

I realised that about 10 minutes after posting the original mail when
re-reading the documentation on termios, thanks for the confirmation though.

Part of the problem I'm having is that whenever you try and search for
information/docs about this sort of thing, you're transported back in a
time warp to the 1980s where people used serial terminals as the norm
for access and everything seems to be written from that standpoint - not
from a "I'd like to use the serial port for binary data that has nothing
to do with interactive login please" perspective...

Paul.