Not getting interrupts from PCI express slot

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Tue Aug 10 17:37:14 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 04 August 2010 23:24:12 Neel Natu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at c2i.net>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 August 2010 21:13:55 Neel Natu wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> Is the driver using legacy INT-A style interrupt or MSI/MSI-X?
> >
> > I don't know. How can I find out. It is a PCI driver like EHCI.
>
> I looked at the ehci_pci.c driver and it looks like it only requests
> legacy interrupt. It may be that the legacy interrupt routing is
> screwed up by the BIOS.

Hi,

> You can try a few things to narrow this down a bit:
>
> % devinfo -ru: this will tell you which irq is being assigned to the ehci
> device

devinfo -ru | grep -Ei "irq|port|xhci"
    16 (xhci0)
I/O ports:
    0xf6000000-0xf6001fff (xhci0)
ACPI I/O ports:

> % vmstat -i: this will tell you the number of interrupts received on
> that irq. It would be especially telling if you saw any stray
> interrupts as it may indicate bad interrupt routing.

vmstat -i

irq16: xhci0                     5538390        957

Thanks for your reply. I'm now getting interrupts like other PCI devices. The
only problem left is that my XHCI PCI express device does not generate an
attach event when inserted. It is only detected if I boot with the device
plugged in. Is it so to understand that PCI express system is not supported?
How much effort would be required to add support for this?

--HPS