Help troubleshooting...

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Mon Oct 26 14:04:28 UTC 2009

On Monday 26 October 2009 14:37:59 M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <86skd6cmm8.fsf at ds4.des.no>
>
>             Dag-Erling_Smørgrav <des at des.no> writes:
> : "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> writes:
> : > FreeBSD lighthouse 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #41 r185338:198411M:
> : > Fri Oct 23 10:08:48 MDT 2009
> : > imp at lighthouse:/cache/svn/head/sys/amd64/compile/LIGHTHOUSE  amd64
> : >
> : > so it would have r197682 baked in (the first number in my rev string
> : > is a mystery to me).
> :
> : It means you have an inconsistent tree.  The first number is the oldest
> : revision in your tree, the second is the newest, and the M means you
> : have local modifications.
>
> Yes.  Of course I have local modifications, but none in the usb stack.
> But I've also done a svn update from the top of the tree multiple
> times and this version number persists.
>
> : > Re another post: This is a 8GB flash, so I'm sure that there's enough
> : > power.
> :
> : Non sequitur.  Bigger chips draw more power.  Is it plugged directly
> : into the computer?  If not, is it plugged into a powered hub?  How many
> : other devices are connected to the computer or hub?

Hi,

> Not entirely.  This flash has worked in this computer in the past
> without issues (like a year ago when we were first integrating hpsusb
> into the tree).

Since then there has been at least one patch to improve performance in the
EHCI driver. When the cat command stops, could you try to run:

usbconfig -u XXX -a YYY dump_device_desc dump_curr_config_desc

On that device. Is usbconfig able to extract the string descriptors in the
device and config descriptor? Or do you get timeouts?

Also check vmstat -i .

> This flash is plugged directly into the computer.
> This behavior is consistent across multiple ports on the computer (so
> it isn't a bad port).  While this doesn't prove it isn't a power
> issue, the odds are stacked against it being one.  If there were a way
> to get the internal hub to tell me how much power it can deliver, and
> for me to query the flash to see maximum current draws, we could see
> if we're close to the edge or not...

Usually the maximum current is given by the device descriptor, but it might
now be the actual value. See usbconfig dump_device_desc.

--HPS