semaphores between processes

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Fri Oct 23 15:39:38 UTC 2009

Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, John Baldwin wrote:

>>> It's planned, just not (yet) being actively worked on.
>>> It's a API change mostly, and then adding in all the
>>> compat hooks so we don't break ABI.
>>
>> There are also an alternate set of patches on threads@ to allow just
>> shared
>> semaphores I think w/o the changes to the pthread types.  I can't recall
>> exactly what they did, but I think rrs@ was playing with using umtx
>> directly
>> to implement some sort of process-shared primitive.
>
> That's really not the way to go.  The structs really need
> to become public.

It would be great if they were, but that discussion was 6 months
ago, and nothing seems to have happened.  Plus we need to support
at least 7.X and probably 6, so any changes here might not even
help us.

What is wrong  with just using umtx directly?  It seems to do
exactly what we need.

Thanks,
Drew