About FreeBSD syscall usage

Stanislav Sedov stas at deglitch.com
Thu Oct 22 12:41:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 16:20:32 +0800
"Yan, Yeqing" <yeqing.yan at intel.com> mentioned:

> kse_exit
>
> kse_wakeup
>
> kse_create
>
> kse_thr_interrupt
>
> kse_release
>
> kse_switchin
>
> I read $man kse, but I can not find any example about how to use it. I write some test codes to call these function but all these codes are failed.
>

> mac_syscall
>
> I read $man 3 mac, but I can not find the usage about mac_syscall function.
>

> thr_create
>
> thr_suspend
>
> thr_kill2

I fear there's no documentation on these syscalls exists.  So for use information
you'll have to refer to the actual source code of these syscalls/or and libc/libthr
source code which makes uses of them.

> By the way, it is said “I think that KSE was used in 5.x and 6.x and then dropped in favor of a 1:1 threading model when 7.0 was released”
>
> Does it mean the KSE syscall can be removed from FreeBSD 7.0?

libkse (M:N threading) was default threading library on FreeBSD versions prior to
7.0, and the default has changed to libthr (1:1 threading in FreeBSD 7).  libkse
was completely removed in FreeBSD 8, but it is still functional on FreeBSD 7.x.

--
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE