RFC: Big Makefile patch for WARNS settings

Ulrich Spörlein uqs at spoerlein.net
Sun Oct 11 14:50:23 UTC 2009

Dear -hackers,

I would like you to give me your thoughts on the attached patch. There
are no functional changes, what I'm trying to do is introduce WARNS?=6
for all top-level Makefiles and override that on a subdir basis.

Why the churn? Because I think it sticks out more, if there's a WARNS=0
in your Makefile rather than the default being WARNS=0. Perhaps this
gets more incentive going for fixing these WARNS. There's also a lot of
work done by the DragonflyBSD folks which I intend to port peu a peu.

Note: There are lots of style changes for games/ and sbin/, which I can
seperate out for easier review. But I'd like to make some sweeping
patches to bring them more inline with style.Makefile(5)

Comments? Committers?
Uli