Distributed SSH attack

Jeremy Lea reg at freebsd.org
Fri Oct 2 20:34:30 UTC 2009

Hi,

This is off topic to this list, but I dont want to subscribe to -chat
just to post there...  Someone is currently running a distributed SSH
attack against one of my boxes - one attempted login for root every
minute or so for the last 48 hours.  They wont get anywhere, since the
box in question has no root password, and doesn't allow root logins via
SSH anyway...

But I was wondering if there were any security researchers out there
that might be interested in the +-800 IPs I've collected from the
botnet?  The resolvable hostnames mostly appear to be in Eastern Europe
and South America - I haven't spotted any that might be 'findable' to
get the botnet software.

I could switch out the machine for a honeypot in a VM or a jail, by
moving the host to a new IP, and if you can think of a way of allowing
the next login to succeed with any password, then you could try to see
what they delivered...  But I don't have a lot of time to help.

Regards,
  -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/