7.1-STABLE crash

Mikolaj Golub to.my.trociny at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 07:46:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 10:36:32 +0400 Asmodean Dark wrote:

>>> Do you really need a such outdated version of mpd while mpd5 is available in ports?
> Yes, we need mpd3 because there are many our custom patches for it (some RADIUS functions, bugfixes etc).
>
>>> Do you have some automatic blocker or some other script that periodically add/remove IPs in a ipfw table?
> Yes. For some our users we use ipfw-based rules (SMTP port blocking, enabling transparent proxy and other). Mpd ifaceup script contain something like this:
> 	if [ "$FilterId" = "no_transparent" ]; then
> 		$IPFW table 3 add $IP
> 	fi
>
> And, in ipfw.rules:
> 	add allow tcp from table(3) to any dst-port 80 in recv ng*
>
> Why table can be corrupted? ipfw check added address, isn`t it?

It might be that when ipfw was looking for IP in the table it was being
modified by ifaceup script at that time. ipfw has lock protection so this
thing should not have happened but...

Could you run something like this?

ps -auxl -M /path/to/vmcore -N /path/to/kernel.symbols

We could look if at the moment of the crash some process was running that was
adding/removing ipfw table.

Other good and simple thing is to run crashinfo(8) utility and provide its
output. If it runs flawlessly it should contain ps output too among other
useful information.

>>> Do the bt output for other crashes looks the same?
> It`s a first dump obtained. There is some problems in receiving it, because all servers is network-booted (via PXE) and have no usable dump devices :) This dump obtained with USB flash device connected to server. Also, crashes is not often.

So we could try to get as much info from this dump as we can :-). Could you
post here the whole output of kgdb from its start, not only bt (I mean things
like "Reading symbols from..." and the command line itself)?

Also you can try in kgdb session:

fr 9
list
p *cmd