Monitoring throughput of PCIe lanes

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Tue Jun 2 04:31:09 UTC 2009

Jason Chambers wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm wondering if there is currently a way to monitor the throughput of a
> PCIe lane or group of lanes associated with a device ?
>
> I've done a little exploring of the source and man pages but have yet to
> find anything that seems to relate in an obvious form.
>
> I wonder if netgraph could somehow be used for this ?
>

> Thanks,
>
> --Jason

unfortunatly PCIe traffic occurs at a level below that at which
the OS can really monitor.

there would have to be some hardware support I think.

THEORETICALLY you could get every device driver to report back
how much traffic it has sent to each device and you could aggregate
that by bus bt it would be a lot of work and overhead
ad wouldn't really be agood measure of burst throughput...