llvm/clang a tool chain or just a compiler for FreeBSD?

Roman Divacky rdivacky at freebsd.org
Wed Jul 22 07:21:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 09:18:46AM +0800, Shaowei Wang (wsw) wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Roman Divacky <rdivacky at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:34:29PM +0800, Shaowei Wang (wsw) wrote:
> > > Hi, hackers!
> > >
> > > Recently I am playing the clangbsd i386 branch and it works. I've noticed
> > > that clang using gcc to linking object code or even doing assembling.
> > >
> > > clang from FreeBSD perspective will be a whole compiler tool chain or
> > just
> > > another C/C++ compiler (may using system's [GNU]as and [GNU]ld) ?
> >
> > llvm people are working on "mc" which is a native assembler/dissasembler.
> > so the only part of the toolchain missing will be linker... now we
> > need as/ld (and gnu driver that knows how to talk to them)
>

> So what's the direction? Are we going to cut off all the GNU compiler tool
> chains and use the llvm/clang when it's mature.

there is no official stand on this but I guess the framework to enable optional
usage of clang as "cc" instead of gcc might be committed "soon"...

but that does not switch anything. there's quite a lot of work still to do
(on both fbsd and clang/llvm side). things have stalled a little recently
- it's summer, people got distracted, code freeze etc. but at least I am going
to push some more work on this after the freeze/summer...

this is my personal view not representing anything official in FreeBSD

roman