gbde and missing lock files

Sebastian Stumpf mail at sebastianstumpf.de
Thu Feb 19 13:17:30 PST 2009

Hi.

I've got a small GEOM_BDE setup at my computer. I used gbde
to encrypt ad4s1e and stored its lock file under
/etc/gbde/ad4s1e.lock. Accidently I deleted this file via a
cronjob.

I know that the lock file only stores the lock sector position
on the disk. I've still got my password. I've read a bit through
src/sbin/geom, but I don't think that I'm skilled enough to write
a hack that will try every sector with my password and call fsck
to check for a valid ufs filesystem.

I'm watching this list for quite some time now and I know that there
are some people out there how could help me with this little brute
force problem in a few minutes by putting together a small hack/patch.

And yes: Of course there was a backup of the lock file. But guess
where...

I'd be very grateful if somebody could help me mounting this filesystem
one more time. :-)

Cheers,
Sebastian
--