booting/loading a tool, not kernel

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Tue Feb 17 17:18:16 PST 2009

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 22:37:51 Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 17/02/2009 14:00 Daniel O'Connor said the following:

> >> Thanks a lot, these are very useful.
> >> But I am still thinking about an interactive menu where I could e.g.
> >> press '9' to go to "Utilities" and then  could select memtest86 or
> >> memtest2009 or cputest :-)
> >
> > That would be very handy IMO.
> >
> > What file do you use to run memtest etc?
>
> Stephan Eisvogel shared his work on memtest86+ for FreeBSD.
> https://www.seitics.de/?e=47

Thanks.

> I am now trying to make a minimalistic port out of  his work.
> I mean - all the features that he added are very useful, but I want to
> get "official" memtest86+ and/or memtest86 ported with minimal changes.

Yes, it would be very useful IMO.
If you have the loader look for extra stuff in some directory under /boot then
other things could be added as ports without requiring changes to the loader
each time.

Although, just a fixed test for memtest would be fantastic :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum