Super I/O driver

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Fri Feb 6 04:35:49 PST 2009

Do we have any drivers for special functions provided by ISA/LPC Super
I/Os. I mean many of them have watchdog capabilities, GPIO, etc. I do
not meant fdc, lpt, sio/uart and hwm which are 9or can be) handled as
the devices of their own.

I have some quite hairy code for Winbond W83977EF that provides watchdog
and led interfaces (the latter is for power led).
I'd like to understand what is the best/canonical way to access
superio's ports, enter configuration mode, etc.
Also, it would be interesting to see how various configurations/wirings
of the same superio could be handled.

I looked at some Linux drivers but their coding ways are quite different
and they typically handle only one wiring type (probably the one that
was found on author's motherboard).

I also would be interested in a general discussion on this topic (superios).

BTW, do we have some interface to userland or GPIO? Something similar to
led(4), but more generic (and supporting 'I' as well 'O').

--
Andriy Gapon