usinig cvs diff to make a patch

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 3 13:03:48 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 14:32 -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> > I use a local cvs repo and I have modified a port and which to submit an
> > update for it how do I generate a patch file with cvs (cvs diff seems to
> > give a unusable format)?
>
> cvs diff -u gives the unified format (or cvs diff -c for context, get the
> pattern?)  Or, copying from the web page
> http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/cvs/basic-usage.html, which shows how to use
> the ~/.cvsrc file to make common cvs commands default the way you want them to,
> you could put into that file the line "diff -u" so it always gives you the
> unified diff format, which just happens to be the easiest for humans to read,
> and the format specified in FreeBSD (hint, hint).

When reading this, I was immediately reminded of this passage from
development(7), describing how to set up a local cvs repository for
src/ports...:

        ... you need to set up a ~/.cvsrc (/root/.cvsrc) file, as shown
        below, for proper cvs(1) operation.  Using ~/.cvsrc to specify
        cvs(1) defaults is an excellent way to ``file and forget'', but
        you should never forget that you put them in there.

                # cvs -q
                diff -u
                update -Pd
                checkout -P