blockable sleep lock (sleep mutex) 16

Nikola Knežević laladelausanne at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 04:33:12 PST 2009

On 30 Jan 2009, at 18:11 , Nikola Knežević wrote:

> This is the message buffer:
> Unread portion of the kernel message buffer:
> panic: blockable sleep lock (sleep mutex) 16 @ /usr/src/sys/vm/
> uma_core.c:1834

> Any hints where I should search for the cause?

Ok, I solved this problem. I had a critical_enter/exit surrounding
code which was calling a lot of mallocs. Now, I'm getting another
message, which doesn't make any sense:

---8<---
--- trap 0, rip = 0, rsp = 0xffffffff87834d30, rbp = 0 ---
uma_zalloc_arg: zone "256" with the following non-sleepable locks held:
exclusive sleep mutex click_instance r = 0 (0xffffff00051b4540) locked
@ sched.cc:441
--->8---

It says "non-sleepable locks", yet it classifies click_instance as
sleep mutex. I think witness code should emit messages which are more
clear.

Cheers,
Nikola