Deprecating ps(1)s -w switch

Ivan Radovanovic rivanr at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 20:03:01 UTC 2009

Doug Barton napisa:
> Ivan Radovanovic wrote:
>
>> I totally disagree with you - being against change means that you
>> believe it is done the best way it could be done.
>>
> This argument is so non-sequitur that I'm tempted not to respond, but
> no, that's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is that there
> are valid reasons to leave the defaults as they are, AND if you don't
> like the defaults there are easy ways to manipulate that in your own
> environment.

You wrote :

Longer version, I don't see anything wrong with the defaults the way
that they are, and the fact that there is a teeny-tiny learning curve
for people who need to see the full output isn't really an issue that
deserves the time already spent on it. Bruce pointed out in the PR
that most users would be surprised if 'ps -ax | grep foo' suddenly
sprouted a lot more stuff that 'ps -ax' didn't have, and I agree. As a
matter of personal preference I find the current defaults to be just
lovely, and occasionally use -w or -ww if I need to see more. If you
want the default to be something different, that's what aliases are for.

So, valid arguments against change should be:
1. users will be surprised if ps starts displaying more stuff no matter if that stuff is correct and less stuff (current state) is incorrect
2. your personal preference is that current defaults are lovely

Sorry, I don't find these arguments valid

>> Although there is another way to solve this "problem" - manual can be
>> changed to state in the first row "process status formated for terminal
>> output" instead of "process status" which is now title for ps. That way
>> it would be obvious at the first look that ps is tightly coupled with
>> terminal it is running on and nobody would need to learn this harder way.
>>
> Feel free to take a crack at this and send the results to the list for
> review. Improving the documentation is always a worthy goal.

I would do that for sure if everyone thinks this ps behavior is
something that should be kept at current state even if it could be made
better

Ivan