Howto setup multiboot with GPT?

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 20 18:06:45 UTC 2009

On 2009.08.17 09:32:54 -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Friday 14 August 2009 5:07:49 pm Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have installed 8.0-BETA2 amd64 on ZFS root with GPT. I made addition partition and
> > made new ZFS pool, builded and installed i386 world and kernel to this pool.
> > So, is there some way to select from which partition i want to boot?
>
> Not currently unless you hardcode a specific partition in /boot.config.  (You
> may need a patch from jhay@ to fix the parsing of that file though.)  I
> believe someone (can't recall who) has some changes in a p4 branch to extend
> gptboot to support a fancier interface with a menu of possible partitions,
> etc.

I have been playing around with gptboot, but it's not ready for any
kind of general use yet.  So far I parse and print the complete
partition table and has the start of a framework to configure gptboot
directly similar to boot0cfg.  One of the first features I plan to
have working is to be able to select which partition to boot, but it's
not the main goal - that's nextboot like functionality.

The WIP can be find in FreeBSD.org perforce at
//depot/user/simon/gptboot/... AKA
http://p4web.freebsd.org/@md=d&cd=//depot/user/simon/gptboot/&c=2qs@//depot/user/simon/gptboot/?ac=83

--
Simon L. Nielsen