sosend() and mbuf

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Tue Aug 4 16:46:38 UTC 2009

Ed Schouten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Maslan <maslanbsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> man kthread says:
>> The kthread_create() function is used to create a kernel thread.  The new
>>      thread shares its address space with process 0, the swapper process, and
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>      runs in kernel mode only.
>>
>> However, when i checked the pid & tid of the new created thread it was
>> not the same as the parent nor as the proc0 & thread0
>
> I am not sure, but sharing another process's address space doesn't have
> to imply it shares the same pid, right?

there was a change where kthread_create now actually produces new
THREADS in 8.0
but prior to that it produced new processes..

I THOUGHT that change happenned between 6 and 7 but maybe it was
between 7 and 8..

do you have a kproc man page?

on 8.0, see:

man kproc
man kthread

on 7.0 I think these will show nothing and you should do:

man kthread_create