smbfs hang

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Fri Oct 17 10:26:21 UTC 2008

Chris Coleman wrote:
> I'm doing a large transfer from an SMB mounted drive, about 2TB of
> files.  After about 250G, it hanging.   Of course any process that
> tries to access that drive hangs as well.
>
> Is there anyway to get those processes killed off and remount the
> drive without rebooting?  I haven't had much luck so far.  They don't
> seem to want to die.

I'm pretty sure that your answer is going to be "no".

Most of my experience with SMBFS comes in the opposite direction -
trying to write large files to an SMB-mounted filesystem and that was so
problematic that we switched to NFS.  That's a bit more work to set up,
but well worth it, imho.

See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb463212.aspx

So far, fingers cross and touch wood, with Windows virus checking turned
off on the remote drive, writing large files has been problem free and
tests reading those files have had no problems either.  Only talking in
the 40Gb range though.

hth,

--Alex

PS The problems we experienced didn't include wedging, iirc.  Files
would fail to rename, but if you waited 30 seconds and looked for your
target file, it would, hey presto, have appeared.  But writes also timed
out, taking, in this case, a backup job with it.