ZFS boot

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Sun Oct 12 12:47:29 UTC 2008

> > It seems a bit much to reserve 1 G of memory solely for the use of the
> > kernel, expecially in my case when that's all I have :)  But on amd64,
> > it's welcome to have terabytes of address space if it will help.
>
> ZFS is a memory hog, period.  That's just the nature of the beast.
> You probably should not be using it on a system with 1GB.  I'll remind
> you that memory right now is *incredibly* cheap; you can get 4GB of
> brand-name lifetime-warranty RAM for around US$40-50.

I am running FreeBSD-7 with the following:
m.kmem_size="512M"
vm.kmem_size_max="512M"
vfs.zfs.arc_max="256M"
vfs.zfs.arc_min="32M"
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="1"
on a i386 machine with 1 Gig memory  (now upgraded to 1.5 Gig)
and i have not experienced, up to now, any lockup problem.
Apparently the kernel effectively uses around 500M memory, indeed.
Performance seems reasonable to me, not worse than with UFS.

--

Michel TALON