ZFS boot

Mike Meyer mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df at mired.org
Sun Oct 12 01:34:23 UTC 2008

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:37:10 +0000
"Freddie Cash" <fjwcash at gmail.com> wrote:
> >     Most linux dists don't bother with multiple partitions any more.
> >     They just have '/' and maybe a small boot partition, and that's it.
>
> Heh, that's more proof of the difficulties inherent with old-school
> disk partitioning, compared to pooled storage setups, than an
> endorsement of using a single partition/filesystem.  :)

I think it's more likely that, given you know absolutely nothing about
what the system is going to be used for, you don't know enough to set
up the partitions intelligently, so one partitions makes as much sense
as anything else. That's one of the best thing about pooled storage:
you can create new file systems for new usages without having to
repartition your disk subsystem.

    <mike