continuous backup solution for FreeBSD

yurtesen at ispro.net yurtesen at ispro.net
Thu Oct 9 23:34:12 UTC 2008

Quoting "Oliver Fromme" <olli at lurza.secnetix.de>:

> These features are readily available right now on FreeBSD.
> You don't have to code anything.

Well with 2 downsides,

The fact that I still would need to take full backups once in a while
if I do this and Linux users do not have to because the CDP software
on Linux does not need to do this. The software expires the old data
automatically and you only need a full backup at first run only.

The bigger problem is that I have to convert all my filesystems to
ZFS. Can one convert UFS2 to ZFS easily even? I dont wanna spend a
large part of the year doing such job while Linux users can just do
this on 'any' filesystem they use. How am I suppose to compete with
companies which use Linux otherwise if I am doing this sort of tasks
all the time?

Thanks for all the advices but my original question was if somebody
can give inside information to a company(for example r1soft) which is
writing CDP backup solutions so they could implement such solution on
FreeBSD also. Do you know such person?

I am not really looking for alternatives because there is none. You
cant just expect commercial companies to convert to a new filesystem
to add a feature which other OSes manage without going to such
measures. Can you imagine the monetary cost if all FreeBSD users had
to convert to ZFS (or another filesystem) to take near cdp level
backups? This simply would make people think 'I wish I used Linux from
the beginning'.

Thanks,
Evren