touch screen recommendation?

Volker volker at vwsoft.com
Mon Oct 6 18:05:38 UTC 2008

On 12/23/-58 20:59, Chuck Robey wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone here had a recommendation for a touch screen,
> specifically to run on FreeBSD?  Any user report?

I am wondering how this belongs to hackers@?

Now the real answer:

It depends.

Touchscreen != Touchscreen, as there are different technologies
available (better ask a sales person for your application). If you just
want to get a "click" from a screen device, you can use any.

First, I'm not aware of any working USB based devices working under
FreeBSD (except mine, not yet released to public). There are other
devices with RS-232 connectors for which you may find X.Org drivers in
the port tree.

For the usb devices, I've got working drivers for GeneralTouch ST-601U
(buggy firmware, dumb tech support, not my preference, but it's working)
and @-Touch SAWUSB. Next week I should have a working driver for
Zytronic devices and one or two others. All for usb devices, everything
for the BSDs only but not yet released.