How can I add new binaries to the mfsroot image?

Peter Steele psteele at maxiscale.com
Mon Nov 17 17:45:17 PST 2008

>I'll have to check this out. I'm not getting anywhere with trying to
>customize mfsroot with my current approach...

The goal we are trying to achieve btw is to make gmirror available
during an install so that the file systems are mirrored right from the
get-go, so that we can avoid having to go through the process of
converting a system as a post operation. The standard slicing/partition
commands of sysinstall do *not* support the creation of a mirrored file
system
though, so our idea was to run a script via install.cfg to take care of
fdisk/bsdlabel/gmirror phase, and then install the packages in the
normal fashion via subsequent steps in install.cfg.

Is this something that can be done via sysinstall? If not, what's the
best alternative? This whole process is targeted to be on a PXE boot
server so we can configure our systems in a completely automated
hands-off manner. We have 200+ FreeBSD systems and we definitely need an
automated process. We already have it working fine, but without
mirroring. We can upgrade doezens of systems at a time simply by making
them boot from our PXE server. We now need to tweak this process so that
we can establish the mirrored file systems as part of the automated
install.