[HEADS UP!] IPFW Ideas: possible SoC 2008 candidate

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 25 02:45:42 PDT 2008

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Sepherosa Ziehau wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:53 AM, Julian Elischer <julian at elischer.org> wrote:
>>  3/ possibly keeping per CPU stats..
>
> This probably is the trickest part, not difficult for non-fastforward case.
> But if fastforward is enabled, I could only imagine full cross-cpu states
> duplication.

FWIW, there is decreasing difference between IP fast forwarding and regular IP
processing in FreeBSD 7.x, as we perform direct dispatch by default, so it's
not just the fast forward case where full input parallelism is possible for
the firewall, and parallel firewall processing has occurred for output since
5.3.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge