zpool scrub tank && high file system activity caused crash

Bert JW Regeer xistence at 0x58.com
Mon Mar 24 20:35:58 PDT 2008

On Mar 24, 2008, at 19:46 , Wesley Shields wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 04:23:19PM -0700, Bert JW Regeer wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I am running FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE with GENERIC on a AMD XP Athlon
>> 3500+ with
>> 1267 MB of ram, and a GigBit NIC. I am testing out ZFS just for the
>> hell of
>> it, I know, 32 bit is not suggested and runs badly, but it does
>> what it
>> needs to do.
>>
>> I was copying large amounts of data for backup purposes from my
>> MacBook Pro
>> to the machine over FTP. At the time I was looking around the man
>> page for
>> zpool, and figured I'd run a zpool scrub just to see how badly it
>> affects
>> performance. It affects it in that it takes down the machine with a
>> dump.
>>
>> keyhole# kgdb kernel.debug /var/crash/vmcore.0
>> [GDB will not be able to debug user-mode threads: /usr/lib/
>> libthread_db.so:
>> Undefined symbol "ps_pglobal_lookup"]
>> GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
>> Copyright 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License,
>> and you
>> are
>> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
>> conditions.
>> Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
>> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
>> details.
>> This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd".
>>
>> Unread portion of the kernel message buffer:
>> panic: vm_page_insert: offset already allocated
>> cpuid = 0
>> Uptime: 10h58m58s
>> Physical memory: 1267 MB
>> Dumping 335 MB: 320 304 288 272 256 240 224 208 192 176 160 144 128
>> 112 96
>> 80 64 48 32 16
>
> Out of curiosity, have you done any tuning on this machine?
> Specifically some of the stuff mentioned on the wiki?
>
> -- WXS

I had not. I changed the size the kernel was allowed to be to at least
512 M as that is recommended, and I got the same panic as the first
email I sent out (this time as seen in dmesg -a), I also ran out of
space on /var so it did not save the vmcore :(.

I am going to wait till I get my 64 bit system up and running before
messing with ZFS again. I don't think the amount of ram I have in that
machine would be enough with some of the other stuff it will have to
do as well, if I let the kernel eat up to a GB.

Bert JW Regeer