vkernel & GSoC, some questions

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Mon Mar 17 21:17:50 UTC 2008

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Matthew Dillon wrote:
>> :I don't think there's an issue that needs solving, GCC has -nostdlib
>> and :-fno-builtin for precisely this reason.
>>
>>     You are missing the point entirely.  The point is to allow the
>> vkernel
>>     to use libc, aka allow it to be compiled, linked, and run as a normal
>>     user process.  What is your rationale for trying to bypass libc?  Why
>>     is it so important to you that the kernel retain all those
>> conflicting
>>     symbols when it takes literally just an hour of work to fix all the
>>     conflicts?
>
> If your goal is to link vkernels with libc then by definition you are
> forced to resolve the namespace conflicts, but I don't see this as a
> necessary goal.  A minimal standalone libkernel would do the same thing
> without requiring global changes to the kernel namespace, which would
> likely cause a lot of downstream angst for users of FreeBSD kernel code,
> providers of third party modules, etc.  It seems pretty hard to justify
> that level of disruption.

It should be possible to make a libemul that provides just eh services
needed, by doing the syscall() operation.  actually, here's an idea..
a separate interpreter/exec/loader class that embeds some of the
work into the kernel and uses syscalls that are designed exactly
for the job required. (loaded as a .ko when needed.).

who says it needs to run posix syscalls...?